Job Opportunity: Parish Youth Worker at St. Paul’s Anglican Church (10127 145 Street), Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Job Title: Parish Youth Worker
Closing date: Until position is filled
Location: St. Paul’s Anglican Church - Edmonton
Hours: A maximum of 10 hours per week
Date Available: August 1, 2020. Probationary period of three months.
Salary: $18-20 per hour (dependent on experience and qualifications) with an increase of $1 per hour following probationary period.
The youth worker will oversee a youth group at St. Paul’s Anglican Church, and report directly to the Rector. The successful applicant will be responsible for providing programming for the youth group and engage in ministry that is consistent with the values, vision and mission of St. Paul’s in order to disciple youth, mentor youth leaders, and provide spiritual support. The youth worker will contribute to a team seeking to equip, encourage, and empower members of St. Paul’s congregation to connect with God, with each other, and the community. This team consists of St. Paul’s Rector, Office Administrator, a children’s ministry coordinator, and volunteers.
- Long and short-term planning to nurture faith within the youth and help them grow as disciples of Jesus.
- During St Paul’s Reopening Phase III (no COVID-19 restrictions - a Phase-by-Phase plan is available by request): Organizing and running programs on Sunday mornings at St Paul’s three Sunday mornings per month, as well as a bi-weekly weeknight youth group event and other social events. These activities will include Bible study, teaching, worship, community service, and social time, all aimed at engaging youth in understanding faith in Christ, supporting friendships and having fun.
- During St Paul’s Reopening Phases I & II (with COVID-19 restrictions): Organizing and running online programs for Youth, including social events such as Zoom “hangout” sessions, group movies, etc., as well as Bible study/learning resources, worship, etc., all aimed at engaging youth in understanding faith in Christ, supporting friendships and having fun. Staying in regular personal contact with parents and youth via social media, telephone/video calling, and email.
- Fostering a welcoming, safe, non-judgemental, inclusive atmosphere for youth with and without church backgrounds.
- Facilitating growth of the youth group through invitation to the current youths’ friends and others outside St. Paul’s.
- Connecting with other youth in west-end churches and holding joint events.
- Identifying needs of the youth and communicating them to vestry at each parish.
- Developing a Youth Ministry Leadership Team (YMLT) to support the ministry in some of the following ways: collaboration with parents of the grade 6-12 aged youth from the parish. Oversight of a budget allocated to youth ministry. Evaluation of programming and activities on a regular basis. Communication with youth, young adults and parents through regular updates e.g. on the webpage, Facebook, emails, and phone calls.
- A mature, stable faith acknowledging the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
- Agreement with the values, vision, and mission of St. Paul’s Anglican Church.
- Experience and/or training in youth work. Passionate about youth.
- Understanding of current youth culture. Willingness to invest in the lives of young people.
- A self-starter, teachable, and a good role model to others.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, problem solving, and decision-making skills. · Ability to work well within a team ministry under the direction of the Rector of St. Paul’s and in conjunction with lay leaders and volunteers.
- An understanding or openness to Anglicanism.
- The ability to work Sunday mornings, 1-2 evenings per week and flexibility for special events and sleepovers.
St. Paul’s Parish
The Anglican Parish of St. Paul is located in west Edmonton on Stony Plain Road and is highly visible to the west-end community. The congregation comes from all over the metro Edmonton area, including St. Albert, and represents diverse economic and ethnic backgrounds. For more information explore the WEBSITE.
All applicants must submit the following to be considered for the position:
- Letter of application
- Statement of the applicant's personal faith
- Include three letters of reference
Please submit application to: The Reverend Dr. Myron B. Penner, Rector of St Paul’s Anglican Church, 10127 145th Street, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T5N 2X6
Phone: (780) 455 0771
Website: Found HERE